Hi there! You’ve reached the book review blog of Niranjana (Nina) Iyer, a writer and writing consultant based in the San Francisco Bay Area. Please scroll down for blog book reviews.
Writing: I write book reviews and other bookish-themed pieces, as well as essays and opinion pieces. My work has appeared in literary magazines such as The Rumpus, The Millions, and The Missouri Review, as well as in mainstream magazines and journals such as The Smithsonian Magazine and Hello Giggles. I am a regular contributor to Book Riot, the largest independent editorial book site in North America.
Writing consultancy: I focus on two types of writing in my consulting work. First, I help students craft memorable, authentic essays for their college applications. My students have been accepted to the Ivies, the University of California, other public universities (including College of William and Mary, Purdue, UIUC, UNC Chapel Hill and more), and other private institutions such as Amherst College, Babson College, Georgetown, Mount Holyoke, Northeastern, Pomona, Rice, RPI, Scripps, USC, Vassar, Washington U. in St. Louis, and many others.
Second, I work as a writing coach and manuscript editor with new writers who seek to understand the process and requirements for creating powerful stories, for both fiction and non-fiction.
If you are interested either in working with me on your college admissions essays or in having your work edited, please head over to my writing services website The Compelling Story, at thecompellingstory.com
Please click on About Brown Paper for more about this site and my book review policy. Thanks for visiting!
- 6 Edgy Indian Cookbooks — Book Riot (10/19)
- Jane Austen goes to Pakistan — Hello Giggles (09/19)
- 5 Things I Learned Leading A Kids’ Book Group — Book Riot (07/19)
- The Great Indian Curry Hack — Tenderly (07/19)
- Cherie Dimaline on the Importance of Dreams — Herizons (Spring 2019)
- Author Interview: Padma Venkatraman — The Rumpus (02/19)
- Book Review: Educated by Tara Westover –Rabble.ca (09/18)
- Book Review: Front Desk by Kelly Yang — Asian Review of Books (08/18)
- KidLit titles that Teach without the Preach — The Aerogram (08/18)
- Singing the California Blues — The Millions (07/18)
- Children’s Books about India’s Independence Movement — The Aerogram (06/18)
The ads on this site have been placed by WordPress, and I do not endorse or gain financially from any of the products displayed here.